A couple of weeks ago, thunderstorms moved across the country pouring tons of water onto homes and farms everywhere, including here. One minute we were sleeping peacefully, the next our basement water alarm sent us scrambling down the stairs. Three hours later, the maple-tree windmills were out of the gutters, the storm drain in the outer stairwell was finally unclogged, and the pump was working at its usual frenetic pace. It could have been worse. But it reminded us that while we talk about fixing things around here, we haven't been very good about doing it. To build this place to asset-worthy status, we have to earn it. And we've let it slide, big time.
Earning money is hard, isn't it? We think only of our jobs when we think "earn it," but there are more ways to earn money than there are stars in the sky. Employment is one way, of course, the primary way we pay our bills - as well as give our elves something to work their magic on. It can be more than that, and should be, but isn’t always. I am paid as a teacher and a tutor, and because I was born to do it, I love what I do – even my writing (past and present) is instructive. A job can be a way to mark time (as with most people) or it can be a calling (as with me) but since the way we recognize and utilize our talents is our biggest asset, choosing a career in an area in which we are "naturals" should be a priority. If we love what we do, it doesn't feel as much like work - and it usually means more money, too.
However, if work it must be, why not make it work that gets you rebates or discounts? My boys love electronic games, so for two years I worked at our local video store, where I received five free rentals each week. I actually made more in rental savings than I made in my part-time wages. Because of the house's shabby condition, I recently looked into working at Home Depot to get discounts on the mountain of drywall and lumber and tools we will need to fix it, but the hours conflicted with prime tutoring time.
Earning can also be learning. As I’ve already stated, I don’t believe in luck but in being able to recognize when a good opportunity comes my way. So I read (books on antiques, investing, and gemstones - seriously, I want to find rubies! – on writing, real estate, and even just books for inspiration), and I take classes (writing, DIY) and watch the Discovery and Travel channels every chance I get. Honestly, I love to learn as much as I love to teach.
Earning is also paying dues. I’ve screwed up a lot, with money, with jobs, with people, you name it. The attempts to make up for those mistakes have resulted in wisdom, and in doing things right, and well. I am very, very good at what I do, and I’m paid accordingly, which, in turn, keeps me on my toes and working even harder to be worthy of the trust … and keeps the income flowing.
I’ve also decided to have a yard sale. Okay, an "Extravaganza!" My addiction to the second-hand has been piling up, just a bit. It’s time to clear the house – stuff my friends didn’t want, things I’ve shrunk out of, my own decorating mistakes that I just can’t seem to part with, and even some of my high-end collectibles (which I will sell on eBay if they don’t sell here). I’ve enlisted my kids, my friends, and I’m even thinking of hiring a couple of strong local backs to help load things. (Anyone who says a yard sale is an easy way to make money hasn’t seen my house!)
Hmm, a huge yard sale and eBay, the Big Lug and I strapping on our tool belts and hitting the DIY trail, trips to hunt antiques and to rock hound, contests and lottery entries and bingo, writing the Great American Novel, and me, wandering the investment maze all alone …
It’s going to be an interesting few years, isn’t it?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep