Earning money, for me, has always been more unconventional than normal. I've never had what most people would call a "real job" - full-time, yes, but never regular hours, not for more than short bursts, anyway. I have been an operator, a clerk, a waitress, a factory worker, a college professor, a director (and theater supervisor), a teacher, a tutor, and a writer ... and those were just the paying jobs. Factor in parenting, running the household, and volunteer work, I have a Mulligan stew of overtime and late nights and satisfaction. For the last thirteen years, I've worked for the same company, doing the same job, with the same schedule.
Now, that stretch of time is, in itself, a miracle. Because I moved every three months to four years during my life, once we bought this house (fifteen years ago), I compulsively moved the furniture around every once in awhile, just to give the illusion of change. It's probably why I collected so much, too, so that I could continuously rotate the decor. Change was all I knew. For me to last this long is a good thing.
However, like the furniture, twice a year - right on schedule after my busiest times - I get the "what if?" itch.
What if ...
... I actually had a job with promotion potential?
... I worked regular hours?
... I got evenings and weekends free?
... I received paid vacation time, sick leave, benefits - so I could take off whenever I wanted, to wherever I wanted?
... I had a "real" job, with a "real" title?
I'll think about it and get back to you ... once I get back from my vacation.
Tall Tales
-
So....this happened. I directed a one act play. It was called Tall Tales by
Robert Shennkan from the *Kentucky Cycle*. It was an experience I almo...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep