I spent $9 today, at three different places (yard sale, rummage sale, estate sale). I bought a pair of sterling turtles (earrings, enameled green), a silver charm (bucking bronco), and two necklaces (one, a mixture of rocks-as-jewelry for Head Trip, the other for me - rhodonite beads strung with a 14k gold clasp). I bought four pairs of earrings in a major discount store this week, too, for about $12 a pair - all 14k studs in (each) citrine, amethyst (it does fluoresce blue!), garnet, and blue topaz. I found a beautiful Irish sterling charm (with actual hallmarks!) at a Salvation Army (about $2.25 - customer appreciation day, 25% off its $2.99 price). On the way back from the conference, I bought three pairs of earrings for myself (14k studs with carnelian, jasper, and seed pearls, respectively), a Taxco silver bracelet for Hippie Chick that Acid Trip said was actually a little "clunky" for her taste - probably not for Head Trip, though. Also that day, a silver and amethyst pendant, two (I think) synthetic pink sapphire rings (sterling), and another with blue enamel (or really squishy indigolite), as well as a turquoise stickpin (minus the cap - they called it a "hat pin") and a handful of other small, interesting pieces.
Sounds like a lot, doesn't it? Yet I passed over pieces that would have made me drool even just a couple of weeks ago: the solid silver pin (hideous but heavy) that was $13 at a thrift store (and the silver and "what-was-that?" ring for $6 sitting next to it), or the $90 gold ring set maybe-with-rubies-but-I-don't-know at the estate sale today, as well as a half-dozen others - the other rock-necklace that was twice the price of the one I bought; the ring at the discount store beside the studs - you know, the one I really didn't like but it was a real ruby; as well as the gold-filled but hideous pin (not like that gorgeous bee!). And though I bought two pieces of milk glass (that same appreciation day), they were in Panelled Grape, the pattern I actually collect (and have vowed to use for Thanksgiving this year!). I resisted other pieces, including a pretty piece of what looked like the cactus pattern but matches one I saw marked "P.V. France" on the trip (it's blue - I only do white, now, unless it's very rare), and a hobnail crescent boat at the rummage sale. Trust me, I spent three times this in a week in early August, and I'm not getting a tenth of the wear from that stuff.
Fasting works. It reminded me that this is not about filling up the house that the yard sale all but emptied, but to create a new environment, one I can shape myself, can afford, and can love. In the case of jewelry, specifically, it's about sources of pleasure now and sources of profit in the future (without the paranoia of loss I have when I wear my rubies). With my carnival and milk glass ... well, I need to invest in display shelves this fall, and then use them. And not just shelves. I have more than one project to finish, more than one grouping of items that will decorate or rebuilt something else in my possession already, and these I will do before I make any more big purchases.
Some day it will be about recognizing jaw-dropping bargains, or beginning the month-long weekend warrior project in the kitchen (cabinets). But I'm a novice, a small fry - I know exactly enough about this stuff to focus on things I will actually use, hang, or wear, and to pay no more than a few dollars to buy them, just in case. Fasting reminded me of both my ignorance and of my already overflowing basket of blessings. I'm a little Bunny in a really big field right now - I not only admit it, I embrace it.
Now if it will just stop raining long enough for me to dig up the treasures I just know are in my yard!
Tall Tales
-
So....this happened. I directed a one act play. It was called Tall Tales by
Robert Shennkan from the *Kentucky Cycle*. It was an experience I almo...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep