When I first began this blog, it was as much to see if I could stick to a self-imposed deadline as to tell you my tall tales. I chose Tuesdays and Fridays mostly because Mondays are usually empty-brain days - I pour everything I have into my weekend classes - and Thursday is too close to Tuesday for my mathematical, anal-retentive ideal of symmetry. I have, however, discovered a very large, thousand-legged bug in the plan: Tuesdays and Fridays are, and have always been, my busiest and/or most important days of the week. I need to reschedule my schedule.
This is a huge move for me. Mondays are still my "duh" kinds of days, and Thursdays are currently catch-up-in-the-house days. But Tuesdays are and will always be Weight Watchers. Yes, I tried moving to a different group, to a different day, but I love - and feel lifted and motivated - where and when I am, so don't look for me to shift to a new situation any time soon. Fridays are the only days I don't, and won't, work. It is, in fact, my personal Sabbath. I used to guard that with my life. Now I stress out over my postings when I should be puttering or writing just for fun or wandering in a garden surrounded by butterflies. (Yes, my imagination is running to the Disney these days.) That's the real reason I had my most recent meltdown, I think, and I refuse to let that happen again.
"But," you might say, "you could write your postings ahead of time." I tried that. Most of the time, what I have to say one day makes little sense the next, either because something happened (found a gold saxaphone charm, cursed all elected officials for a "rescue" - theirs, obviously, since it's an election year) or because my prose is at its snappiest when I'm under a bit of pressure. Obviously, if something hits me the day before, even the week before, and I really, really want to write it, I will do so (as I'm doing today - it's Sunday, and I'm between classes) but even then I still won't allow it to go online until it's rewritten. Probably heavily rewritten. And that's done the day of, not the day before, period.
Besides, much of my treasure hunting is done on Fridays, or it used to be before I started to stay home to obsess over my quest. Since most of my Friday stalking-the-wild-antique was done with the Big Lug because he works long hours for two weeks in order to have every other Friday off, this is the logical solution. I like the man, and I'm starting to miss him.
Obviously, I wrote last Friday. I'm still letting all those numbers sink in, trying to figure out how to do all the selling and transferring, and how to time it. But by Saturday I found the energy forage in both a neighborhood-wide yard sale and my favorite Salvation Army store, and then I even had a tutorial (new student!) at 10:30a.
Thanks to the former (sales), I have a new, really beautiful turquoise bracelet, a citrine earring and necklace set, a new chain for one of my great charms, some CZ earrings (vermeiled), and hoop earrings - all sterling, all $4 (total). I also bought a fabulous, signed, stained-glass panel for $15 (down from $20) and a small leather-covered rocking chair (and some books) for the grandkids ($5 together). Thanks to the latter (student), I will make bills with no real squeak factor and maybe even polish off another credit card.
The day ended with a marathon cooking spree and lots of snuggle time.
See? Mostly, nothing will change here. It's going to be a bit of philosophy, a bit of chronology, a bit of humor, a bit of reporting or ranting, all swirling around the occasional excitement of the hunt (if not the find). I still passionately believe that treasures of all kinds are just waiting out there for us to recognize, to put ourselves in the way of, to simply pick up. And I still vehemently believe - I know - that no matter our circumstances then or now, we all can be as wealthy as we want to be.
And even have a heck of a fun time getting there.
Tall Tales
-
So....this happened. I directed a one act play. It was called Tall Tales by
Robert Shennkan from the *Kentucky Cycle*. It was an experience I almo...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep