Monday, June 29, 2009

Tearing It Up

I spent the past few days cleaning up the weeds that took over my yard in my absence. I have to get a system, because this pulling and whacking crap can't continue. I'm beat. And yet I'm seeing some real progress, and now that I have the rototiller (and now about 600 pounds of soil conditioner) I'm ready to get some real work done.

When, though, is the question. Rain tomorrow and Wednesday, class tomorrow and Thursday. My schedule will ramp up soon (I hope) and while my checkbook will be pleased, my yard could suffer again. I will dig.

In the meantime, I need to dig elsewhere. It's time to "inherit it" forward - not only do I want to go through all of my "what was I thinking" jewelry, it's time to let go of some of my more interesting items. Plus, I finally have the Big Lug ready to cull his herd of clutter, too! Fourth of July weekend is going to be Independence Day on so many levels.

Okay, in part it's because I truly believe I can't find more great things without making room for them. In part, also, because I believe I'm heading for a sea change - the thrift shop run last week yielded the most random thing: a side trip for spoons (which, in my house, are like socks - they just disappear) gave me forks instead. Not just any forks, though. Specifically, I picked up, without knowing why, 21 stainless steel, modern-style, very heavy forks, and six silver-plated, sort of ugly but intriguing (hollow-handled) ones. The former were labelled "Villeroy and Boch," which, as I found out, are selling for a pretty penny on Replacements.com. The latter were Rogers 1847. That meant little to me until I found the pattern (Columbia) and looked them up, too.

Time to have an internet yard sale.

This fall, though - aim for the Christmas crowd since most of what I'm selling is tailor-made for gifts and entertainment, not for everyday. I have some sterling sets, too, bracelets and earrings, mostly, that I might wear but are better as fodder for my range hood (goes to PayPal, after all).


However, the bulk of what I own will go to my favorite thrift shop, because the greater part of why I'll tear up the house for this is that I have so much. It's time to share the wealth.

I love that part best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep