I can't believe it's Tuesday - I haven't missed (many of) my deadline since I set one! One day and ... however many minutes late, but I can't help it. Time is different here.
It's not as if I haven't followed a certain routine. I found a pretty pair of earrings at a Goodwill Boutique (they have boutiques down here for all the good stuff - with boutique prices) and a couple of fabulous Rogers 1847 plate serving pieces (not boutique, so cheap) plus an after-market marked (585) fake gold medallion that while not gold wasn't priced as gold and is therefore gorgeous and worthy of mounting.
Plus I hunted the Treasure Coast - found nothing, but had a great time at the McLarty Treasure Museum, and watched my sister get truly bitten by the treasure bug as she chased a piece of green glass (probably) wondering if it was one of the emeralds that was in the convoy from 1715 (hence the Treasure Coast) and determined to find out. She saw it, missed it in the tide, and scanned the shore for an hour but never found it again. She said she was not hoping for the 69-carat emerald some woman found years ago after a hurricane, but maybe one of 2-carat size, as some guy with a metal detector said a friend found, would be possible. She picked up every flat "rock" that might be a piece of eight, every coral accretion that might hold a reale (a small piece of gold), anything that looked possible. And because of that, if for no other reason, it was a great day.
Today I parasailed - just returned, actually. It was like flying but without the engine and boredom that a pilot's license would give me. I felt close to the angels today. A treasure of a different kind, for sure.
I go home Thursday. Florida doesn't have the advantage of the Pacific Ocean (I will always be a West Coast girl) but it's fascinating, diverse, fun, and definitely outside my usual box. I suspect I'll feel the reverberations of this trip for a very long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep