Okay, I think I've got it figured out. Maybe.
Why am I proud? Well, recognition, for one. I wouldn't have given either the star or the small pin a second glance before my reading binge (alerting me to "trombone clasps" and "Edwardian style"), and, thanks to my inner Science Geek (and my jewelry tutor), I got the diamonds at a glance (the second, true, but a glance). I guess I"m proud of my willingness to take a chance, as well (though I do regret not picking up the two school pins in the same store with the smaller pieces - they were 10K but heavy, and they were not there when I went back for 50% off day).
So why am I baffled? Part is the "why" of it - why me, why now? Yes, I know that one will drive you mad, but if there's anything (anything at all) to metaphysics or to cosmic justice, I really don't know what this cranky, snivelly Bunny did right.
But the other part is more confusing - the "huh?" factor. Not for the existence of the donations themselves, though the high number of gold pieces in more than one store did surprise (and please) me. Mostly my puzzlement is about the prices. Total spent for the four pieces in last Thursday’s picture - just under $50. Total. Now, admittedly, the star's hallmarks were tortuously well-hidden, but the Tiffany pieces (and the watch) were clearly stamped. Why were none priced over $30?
The only reason I can figure is someone's just plain hurting for cash. That means bargains might continue for awhile (though a quick return to the scene of the Tiffany-binge today showed the previously usual, through-the-roof tags). And, yes, giveaways are hard to resist, but though I'd be a fool to question Mama Angel's bounty - and the f-word ain't one of my monikers - I'm also disturbed that the organizations that help those in need might be so horribly underfunded. We need to do something about this - and, in the process, keep the awesome treasure-fest going.
Here’s what I propose: for every gift we plan to buy (or get!) this Holiday season, we donate one we already have (and not the crappy ones!) to the charity shop nearest and dearest to us. And do it this week. I’ve already started bagging up much of the sterling jewelry destined for eBay. So can you.
Oh, come on, you know what a pain selling it is! And you also know it’ll come back to you - somehow, some way, it'll show up in your life. Maybe not in silver or electronics or Juicy Couture, but it will cycle around. Usually when you least suspect it.
And maybe that's the answer - I've just kept it all spinning like a crazy revolving door. Not consistently, not logically, and not with any expectation of return but simply because.
Wouldn't that be sweet?
Tall Tales
-
So....this happened. I directed a one act play. It was called Tall Tales by
Robert Shennkan from the *Kentucky Cycle*. It was an experience I almo...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep