Monday, November 9, 2009

Shopped Out?

I feel wierd. I don't know what it is, exactly, but I think ... I feel ... it isn't the flu, or anything ... might it be ... could it be ... no, it's not an overload. Not me. Not now!

I shouldn't feel this way - it was a fabulous weekend, full of wheeling and dealing with vendors at a two-day flea market that swings by three or four times a year ... plus another two hours in a thrift store this morning - but I do: I'm ... a little (just a little) sick of shopping.

What did I find? A fantastic tri-colored Hamilton 14K gold watch, a ruby-and-diamond necklace and a rose-charm necklace (chains and all), five plated watches for me (mostly working, beautiful bands) and six pipes for the Big Lug (pretty-pretties), six cups and saucers in my milk glass pattern, two pairs of beautiful sterling-and-gold earrings for my daughters, and even ... drumroll please ... one gorgeous seed-pearl-and-enamel 14K pin and one sterling and 18K tie tack, both signed "Tiffany & Co." (hopefully real). I paid tag value only once. All told, after negotiating and discounting and sighing with my my big, puppy-dog eyes working their magic, I spent just over $200 for all of it.

That would be about $15 more than I'd saved for this weekend.

I'm tired. But my work is just begun. I have a ton of research to do, and it's all my own fault.

On a related note, one of the vendors had a stunningly beautiful watch (for just short of $1K) that I lusted over. It occurred to me that I might be able to leverage the pin for it. I asked if she took trade. She said "yes, depending on what you have to trade." I told her. Her eyes widened. I didn't have the pin with me - I'm not going to rush into anything before I know what I have - but she was interested. And I had three (count 'em, three) epiphanies ...

One - scrap value (my excuse for buying) of all the gold I've been finding is great, as long as it's truly scrap. I have been blessed by Mama Angel more than once. And though I LOVE the things I find, I'm not (yet) an evening-gown kind of Bunny, nor do I have an office job that makes me dress up in heels and suits (thank God!). Yes, diamonds go with blue jeans and black leather, but do I want to go that route? I'd wear the 18K watch, for sure, and, technically, it would only cost me $2 (the price I paid for the pin). Isn't that more important?

Two - if this keeps up, I might one day be the vendor who has all this stuff. Once the economy heats back up the price of gold will fall, but the demand for gorgeous, well-made jewelry will increase (check prices just three years ago and you'll find the really good stuff went for more).

Three - the more I read, the more look and touch, the more I notice. Dear Lord, you wouldn't believe the amazing earrings I found this morning, and I would never have noticed their impeccable quality even this time last spring! I've learned it's all about quality over quantity ... and I'm developing an eye for the latter.

Where will this take me? No clue. I am happy that I had the extra savings to buy the items (that I will wear) and that I can still bargain with the best of them. But I'm ready for the pot of red beans that are simmering on the stove, for the cleaning and the reading and the internalizing that must happen for awhile, for a period of quiet in the eye of the storm. Donations are increasing. Yard sales and flea markets are staying around longer. And even the most established antique dealers are willing to deal. I will be there, with my radar out.

But not just now.

Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep