Not that I took pictures in the malls, which I really did intend to do - to show the scope of some of these places. I forgot I had the camera until we came out of the endless snow. See how crazy it makes me?
Proof of crappy weather. The white is salt and sand and heaven knows what else. Seriously, when we finally ran it through a car wash (the super-duper-everything wash) we drove about five feet before the hidden stuff started streaking me up again.
This is a neat pair. The creamer is indeed Portieux pattern - Louis XV. It was $3 at a thrift shop. The Santa was at a small antique place we found just after we returned to dry roads - a rare Robed Santa attributed to Dobson & Co. (patent, 1901). The runners are both chipped off in the back (can you see it?), but even so it's worth more than I paid for it.
I did a bit of hunting once I got home, but mostly I've just been catching up on things. What I have found here were prices mostly at scrap value (when gold). That makes them not great bargains but since three were chains, which I desperately need (and which were still less than I'd find at an antique mall or retail) they were worth it. I also discovered a decanter, standing like a custard glass beauty queen in the middle of a shelf full of plaster Dollar Store figurines, coffee cups, and floral-ware giveways. A couple of bucks later, she was mine. I think it's Imperial (which would make it rare) but her neck isn't quite right. When I do the research I'll report back on that.
I'm finding myself spending more than I should lately, and I know it. I need to work on the house for awhile, or on the writing project that has come my way. I won't neglect this - I truly love the hunt - but I will confine myself to rare, oh-my-God pieces or amazing bargains (preferably both!) for awhile. At least, I'll try.
And then, come Spring, I'll divest again. It's the Circle of Life.
At least it is in my house.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep