I tell my students all the time that there's no such thing as a stupid question (to which one wag responded, tongue in cheek, "What's a stupid question?" and I conceded there are a few). For the most part, however, I've always known that I'd never gain anything if I didn't ask, and so I do ... for everything.
For instance, I emailed Tallassee Community College about that TCC pin with the logo that was so similar to theirs. Not only did someone respond, but, when the pin went unrecognized, she actually passed it around to those who'd been around longer. The consensus seemed to be that it was not a student, alum, or faculty recognition pin - not theirs, anyway. It took some work, and a lot of scrutiny, for them to come to that conclusion so I thank Alice, Raine, Evelyn, Rob, and Susie for all their input. I am stunned by not only the number who looked at it but at the quick response of everyone involved. What a great bunch of people!
Also, one day last week I went into one of my lesser-frequented thrifts - once more at the prompting of Mama Angel. I found a couple pieces that weren't fabulous but practical, a cabinet I really, really liked but didn't want to pay quite that much, and, when I checked out, something taped to the wall behind the register. It looked like an earring. A big hoop. I frowned, and queried the cashier. I had to point, guide, and even explain what I wanted to see because not only was I (apparently) the first person to ever ask about it, the entire staff had forgotten it was even there! Someone had lost it while shopping so they'd taped it up to make it visible but since no one had claimed it the poor thing had become background noise to everyone. Of course I then asked, "At what point does it go from lost-and-found to out-for-sale?" Since it had been months, the nice lady took it back to the manager and (after some discussion, apparently) brought it back out, tagged. Almost apologetically, she told me they'd "have to charge $10." I looked it over (mangled mark, not diamonds), thought awhile, but paid the price anyway (it was for charity, after all). Once home, I tested it, weighed it, and found that I was the proud owner of nearly 4g of a 14K gold-and-CZ earring (worth at least $45 in scrap). Gotta love Mama Angel, huh?
By the way, when I went back the next day (because I couldn't get that cabinet out of my mind) the shop was having a surprise sale on everything in the store. Oh yeah, I bought it (looks great under the front window).
And last weekend, since the weather was almost nice, I headed to my faraway flea (80 miles, by the way, not 40 as previously reported - I mixed up one-way with round-trip). Anyway, my gold guy wasn't there so I didn't sell off any of my shopping errors, cool but broken finds, or (like the earring) orphaned pieces, but I did meet many new people and, in particular, more relic hunters. I had some great discussions about rules and regs governing the hobby (see new, brief explanation in "Find It"). Despite the heavy restrictions in my area, I'm getting psyched for summer weather so I can get out and get digging.
I also went to my coin and jewelry place, asking about a stickpin base for a beautiful piece a friend gave me. This lovely little guy is 14K with seed pearl, a bit smaller than a dime, probably 1900-1920, and obviously broken off from his pin. I thought about putting a bail on it for a pendant, but the best place for it would obscure the mark ... and he wasn't intended as a necklace. I want to match his fabulous color, which is a pretty but light gold, but though there were darker, even pink, no luck. I can get it matched by having the pin made from scratch (they said), yet I feel as if I need to find an older base. And I'm learning to really trust those feelings. So I'll find it instead. In time.
Lastly, I'm getting ready for my trip to Round Top in Texas. I don't expect to spend too much money - I'm getting serious about getting back to my roots - but I do expect to touch, to look, to study, to question, and to listen ... in other words, I plan to learn.
Speaking of which ... I have plans to put up a "Mystery Piece" gadget - for identifying logos (TCC) and marks (there are some weird ones out there) and anything else I find that I can't figure out. Because - you guessed it - I'm not afraid to ask.
Even if the question is ... Acid Trip will you show me how?
Tall Tales
-
So....this happened. I directed a one act play. It was called Tall Tales by
Robert Shennkan from the *Kentucky Cycle*. It was an experience I almo...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep