Day 1. Got in yesterday afternoon, got the rental car, collapsed but stayed awake because I'm now living with night owls. Overslept this morning. Got a late start. Drove an hour. Didn't make it to the actual Round Top because the Event is huge - spread out for 10 square miles. Stopped at the first place I saw (La Bahia), then a mile or two farther (County Line). Found a great Hen & Rabbit salt shaker (milk glass) and some jewelry bits, but best part was the nice people who gave me so much help and information! Note to self: the main show starts on date but the satellite shows start the Friday before ... adjust schedule!
Day 2. Dropped some info off with people at previous day's shows, stopped at tiny field-event and found some 14K sanddollar earrings for my sister (who loves Mom's two sanddollar necklaces she left her). In same bag was hefty scrap of white gold necklace that will pay for all, plus 14K CZ studs for one of nieces. Then went to first big show. In parking lot, gust of wind slammed rental car door into SUV's fender. Paint gone on his, 3" dent on mine. Wrote a note, taped it to window, almost burst into tears. Couple hours later, after lunch, finally got a bit of excitement back and bought a tanzanite set and some service pins. But I've never had an accident that did any damage that was even vaguely my fault. I'm depressed.
Day 3. Went to first show I had to pay for. Didn't expect to actually buy anything, and I didn't. But met some of the most interesting people, including Paul and his wife who are Cowboy Action Shooters (they go in costume, and everything - she was getting Victorian jewelry). We stood and talked for almost an hour! Then I had the best smoked chicken I'd ever eaten. And found two vendors with gold charms that were so fun I think that will be my next Big Thing. But there was enough platinum, too, to make me sigh - this is the year!
Day 4. Need to do laundry. Think I picked through enough smaller places, so stuck in the area. I usually hunt thrift stores but not usually as good as where I am, so went to an antique store (found a 10K sorority pin for reasonable, not bargain). Then went to pawn shops, not expecting much since they're so overpriced in my neck of the woods. But holy cow. Bought my first diamond studs, and found a tanzanite ring that has different cut but complements the set I bought earlier. Running out of allowance, but couldn't resist one more place. There it was - a platinum and diamond Lady Hamilton watch - no matching band (it's a Spiedel) but the watch ... perfect. And too expensive. Need to think about it.
Day 5. Brother in. Easter with the family. Pretty great. Think I know how to get the watch.
Day 6. I got it, I got it! Negotiated and scrapped out some gold! Got it for almost half the tagged price! Needs a cleaning, probably a dial reconditioning, but for $185 (counting all the tax) I think I got a fabulous deal! It kept the smile on my face for the rest of the day, while we went through Mama's storage locker. Sad, but fun, too. Found a ton of stuff from the grandparents, some wonderful memory things, and lots and lots of the practical, which my nieces will need to set up their first apartments very soon. It was a very good day.
Day 7. Getting ready to go back into the fray. Wearing a ratty T-shirt this time (I've learned). I fly out tomorrow, which is good. I miss the Big Lug. And I miss my routine. I'm ready to get back to the real world. Until next year, of course.
Tall Tales
-
So....this happened. I directed a one act play. It was called Tall Tales by
Robert Shennkan from the *Kentucky Cycle*. It was an experience I almo...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep