Last year, after my mother died, I went a little nuts. Yes, I paid all non-mortgage debts, and yes, I still have almost all of what was left of the inherited money to buy back the Big Lug's military retirement as soon as we can. But, honestly, instead of kicking up his 401K to the max (including catch-up since we hit 50 in 2009) I spent the raises and most of the natural excess, and not all of it on the house (which would have been an investment). We travelled. We bought silly things (two flat-screen TVs!). And we ate out more than usual.
I felt remorse come Fall, which, of course, only proved the truth of what I call "The Bunny Paradox": Guilt about Spending/Eating can only be cured by More Spending/Eating. Illogical (check). Self-defeating (check). Annoying (check and check). But clear and present for my entire life (sigh), and since everyone had a pretty good Christmas, what the hell, right?
My procrastination with the money-recap had more to do with an explosion of tutorial students (yay), the First Chapter brain fog (yay, huh?), and lingering anxiety after the wet snow left us without power (one day) and cable/internet (almost four days!) during the critical time (boo!!!). But though I'm a bit over a week late, I was pleased with the results.
We are currently worth almost double last year's total.
I love this New Year!
Tall Tales
-
So....this happened. I directed a one act play. It was called Tall Tales by
Robert Shennkan from the *Kentucky Cycle*. It was an experience I almo...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep