Friday, June 8, 2012

Scraps

Last week I spent cleaning and clearing. I must say I am getting rather fond of empty space - very Zen, very peaceful - as I continue tossing, displaying/using, inheriting forward, and (of course) preparing for the "The World Is Not Ending Dammit" online sale (hm, better but still not there).  I actually fasted hunting the whole week so I could focus on the Purge.  I figured once I did my duty I would step out and magically find amazing things that would thrill my Diva and fill my retirement coffers.

Not so much.

I found things for the Big Lug (this Gordie Howe action figure, among other things):



as well as several bits for grandkids and home.  I ended at our First Saturday flea, looking at everything as I always do, even as I greeted and talked with several of my dealer friends.  I started and ended with my newest treasure, a really nice (and funny!) guy I connected with a few months back.  He asked what I'd found, and since I'm superstitious about looking too closely when I didn't spend much ($5 altogether at the flea) I shrugged and said "bits and pieces."  Normally, I'd wait until I got home, but I was done for the day, and he hasn't heard all my jokes yet so I gathered my finds.




He spotted the not-silver necklace, but I raised an eyebrow and pointed to its companion bracelet (sterling).  He said the ring was copper (I agree - looked good in the sun) but it was dark in the garage, and it was cheap, so while I was disappointed I knew my daughter might still wear it.  He saw the necklace bit and immediately said "that's gold" for the clasp (yep, 14K, and really, really nice cultured pearls), which I bought along with the watch movement.  And then the pendant came out, and he asked me why I'd bought it (good question) - "because that's a pretty lively opal for plate" was my response.  Okay, there was also the "we tested everything and sold all the gold yesterday" from the vendor - that kind of arrogance always makes me want to prove him wrong! And since I then talked him down from $1 each to $1 for the opal and the Shakespeare stamp and that cool (non-silver) religious medal, how could I lose?  (And, yes, the pendant is 14K with o!pal and diamond.)

Scraps.  Bits and pieces.  Things some people would've tossed in the trash.

Not me!

And maybe not you anymore, too, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep