Rabbit season.
Duck season.
Rabbit season.
Rabbit season.
Duck season - fire!
Ha, that Daffy Duck! What a dope! What a maroon! He thinks he's so smart, but he's the dumbest thing on the planet! You'd think he'd learn by now that trusting Bugs (not listening carefully, not reading the fine print) is just plain idiotic, wouldn't you? Well, wouldn't you?
Sure, because trust is pretty stupid, isn't it? I'm right there with you. Trust isn't my long suit, either. "Why?" you ask. "Does it matter?" says I. Most people don't trust easily, if only because of the society we live in. I don't even trust myself very much. But I have learned, the hard way, that I not only can trust, I have to.
Our culture has somehow made "dependence" the newest four-letter word. Admitting dependence of any kind is perceived as either weakness or status symbol, something to be "cured" of (or supposedly so). But it was only after Betty Ford admitted her addiction that we began the shift toward "dependence" as a substitute for the clinical term. ("How could someone like Mrs. Ford have something so unsavory as addictions, after all ... and how could I have missed my own little problem?") As usual, the spin we gave the word changed our perception of it, so that now, no matter the circumstances we won't or we can't depend even on the sun to rise. We have to stand alone (except for addictions). We must be skeptics, debunkers, cynics, or we're just not cool (except for addictions).
In my last post, I declared my Independence. Today, I unashamedly admit that I cannot and will not live my life by myself, for myself, and of myself.
Today, I proclaim my Dependence Day!
Dat dat da DA! On this day, at this hour, I, Bunny, announce the following:
1. I state categorically that I will trust both the Big Lug and Mama Angel (as well as her Boss) to love me, to support me, and to have - only and always! - my best interests at heart.
2. I assert that the ancient Greeks had the right idea when they said that the winds were reborn every day at dawn - no matter what happens in any 24-hour period, I depend upon the sun to rise and produce 24 hours full of unlimited possibility.
3. I affirm that I can bank on my own abilities and talents - and that I will get out of my own way more often than I step in it.
4. I pronounce (with great fanfare) that I know life will happen as it should instead of as I want, that it will be inconsistent and paradoxical - but I also declare that I will always believe the best of situations and of people first, and that I will have someone to comfort me and help me through if it proves otherwise.
No, I'm not going to turn into warm, fuzzy Bunny (any more than I can simplify that last sentence). But maybe, just maybe, I can shift my perspective - a bit, then a bit more. And, like the "spin" that eventually produces sea changes in our cultural thinking, the adjustments will create a slightly different reality, a whole new world for me to see, and see differently.
After all, everybody knows it's actually Elmer season.
Tall Tales
-
So....this happened. I directed a one act play. It was called Tall Tales by
Robert Shennkan from the *Kentucky Cycle*. It was an experience I almo...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep