Friday, July 18, 2008

Letters From the Front

Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America ...

**********

The world is a better place this week, at least from my point of view, because I ran into yet another group of teens who are busily defying stereotypes - artist, filmmaker, photographer, and smartass, the four were sitting at a table next to mine in Barnes & Noble on Wednesday. I wasn't eavesdropping, but when someone starts talking about
Doctor Who, I tend to pay attention - especially when I realize they just returned from England, and were able to say, "... and the final episode was kind of a --" That's as far as he got, since I shushed him with my hand and my teeth, and then again, and again. Our five-way conversation (ranging to all things Joss Whedon and how much we miss Heroes) went on for 45 minutes. Once again, I see that individuality does, indeed, exist in the public school system. And I'm happy.

*********

The Big Lug was misinformed when he bought my
ruby earrings - fakes are not hard to make (especially those that fluoresce), and have been made for over a hundred years. But, perhaps, good fakes are difficult - as good as the synthetic diamonds that are fooling experts all over, anyway - and I'm slowly learning what to look for inside the stone to tell the good from the bad. Those $24 fakes I bought in Texas are worth their weight in ... well, you know.

**********

Poisonous air has been hanging over our area, and will be here for yet awhile. I'm going to redouble my efforts to change the way we do things. For example, I'm checking out prices of
solar panels and electric cars - not hybrids, true battery-operated things (even wind-powered). I drive ten miles to work. I don't need much. But I listen to people who say they want to go greener, yet lobby for widening roads (so they don't get stuck in traffic) and drilling more wells (so they don't pay so much at the pump), and I don't understand. Has the credit crisis taught us nothing? Making it easier to waste doesn't cure the problem - pain cures the problem. We have to want it in order to fix it!

**********

I didn't go back to that great shop today - see above for toxic breathing - but I found some pretty sparkles (including a sterling moose charm - yes, a moose!) at my local Salvation Army, and without driving 150 miles to do it.

**********

Yesterday, I woke to a miniature Lake Erie in our basement - and without rain! Yes, the water heater finally went to its ecologically sound Elysian Fields, where all major appliances in this county go to finish rusting. Our beloved work horse was 26 years old, younger than one of the plumbers, and a 15-year veteran of teenagers, cheap washing machines, and endless hand-dishwashing (why did none of them realize you don't have to run the water while scrubbing!). We replaced it with a much more energy efficient beauty - and while the plumbers were waiting for the new one, they changed out the main shutoff valve, as well, which was only one year younger than me. (Two more home improvements crossed off my list - cha-ching!)

**********


Yesterday I reduced the balance of what I owe on one of my cards by a significant amount - I called and asked for a lower interest rate. That's all, just asked. I got a full tuition scholarship from my university back in the day, too. Amazing what can happen if we just ask politely, huh?

**********

I still haven't caught up on my economic issues (paying bills, ordering supplies), my sleep, or or my organization of The Jewelry. I've had real trouble adjusting to my hours this year. Could it be that I'm getting to old? Nah! I have more fun things to do, that's all!

**********


And just for the record, I realize I'm buying the jewelry for me to wear - as much as, if not more so, that I want bargains so I can resell it when the time comes. I've lost a lot of weight. I'm feeling kind of sassy.

**********

I'm still trying to fight Blogger's technology for dominion - I swear, I see that I can set up The Bunny's Fantastic Finds Slide Show, I just need to wrestle it into submission so it will.

**********

I watched the Electric Kid yesterday while both parents worked. At one point, he crawled into the fireplace, then tracked ashes all over the place, including the sofa. I howled, of course - with irritation (my sofa is cream-colored), then fear (he has allergies), but it didn't take long to succumb to laughter. I had a sudden flash to when his father, Acid Trip, was that age - covered head-to-toe in orange clay after taking a forbidden, sliding, crawling play trip all over a baseball field during a (military) Company picnic. Apples really don't fall far, do they?

**********

Happy hunting, to all, and to all - including the ships at sea - a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep