Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Yard Sales

You heard about the yard sale find ($45) that might be worth $2mil (Ansel Adams negatives thought lost, maybe).  I hear stories, too.  A guy in Salvation Army told me about a sale he went to (on his way to the casino) and found a box full of Newcomb pottery for $25 - the "old couple didn't know what they had."  Another recognized an original (some artist) that was appraised for more than 100 times what he paid for it.  And as you know by now, I've found several pieces that would sell for many times over what I paid (mostly from pawn shops, thrift stores, and antique stores), and though my conscience might've gotten the better of me in those heard-about cases, I don't have much trouble making a killing from storefront operations ... or most flea markets ... or mean people.

However, for everyone who ever wanted (or, especially, needed) to make some money off a garage sale, here's a piece of advice:  check, double-check, and recheck!  Easiest way I know to do this is to text 466453 - just type "price" and a couple of good descriptors of your item, and then wait for the return text that'll tell you what it's going for on at least three web sites!  It's great for buying, too!  And (at least on my network) it's free!

Seriously, I would love to take your stuff for almost nothing.  I would love it better if it saved you from foreclosure (as this might just do for one family).  Really, check it now ... before you put up your sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep