Friday, April 13, 2012

Superstition

I used to believe that Friday the 13th was lucky for me. I almost always got money on 13th days, after all, especially Fridays the 13th. One day I relized that I got money on 15ths and 30ths or 31sts more often (paydays), and that it was time for this triskaidekaphiliac to fuggitaboutit. So today I would've forgotten what day it was. Except Mama Angel had other ideas.

It began with my usual routine - up at 5:15, write for an hour or so, make some hot cereal then head to the bathroom for a few rounds on my portable Yahtzee game while I ... uh, let my breakfast cool. Since today is the Big Lug's day off (every other Friday) we talked about taking a day trip, but the day got away from us. Then I remembered the little pull I'd felt yesterday when I went out to hunt, the third store on a mental list of three that I didn't get to before my students got me. We decided to stay local instead and check it out.

In the store, one I hadn't been in for months, the twirly display thing was broken and had to be turned by a clerk, who was crazy busy - the store was packed! I waited. There were some very nice but expensive pieces on the shelf-type displays but I could also see very big prices - I was in a rich area surrounded by people who usually - but not always - know how much things are worth. I waited some more. Then help came, she spun, and I found a reasonably priced 14k toe ring (perfect for my summer feet) a pair of "sterling and diamond" earrings, and a huge pair in a style I thought I recognized (I did, they were 14k, tagged yesterday, and cheap). We had lunch at a fabulous Turkish restaurant, bought a couple more nice pieces at reasonable prices in an antique store, and headed home to eat, watch Lost Girl, and go to bed.

As I came back to bed, I realized those monster earrings I bought had been $13 (I checked) on Friday the 13th (and weighed 10.3 grams - extra zeroes don't count). I started laughing. I told the Big Lug I was tempted to become superstitious again, but that I knew it was just a super joke on me. He rolled his eyes.

Still chuckling at the feathered one's humor, I finished as I began the day - in the loo hitting the Yahtzee's "start" button.

First score was a Yahtzee! I guffawed. I know an affirmation when I see it.

Second, Yahtzee. I told the Lug and grinned.

Third and fourth, Yahtzee! I roared with laughter.

A few regular rolls, several four of a kinds, then a fifth Yahtzee and a full ticket.

Old record (between me and hubby) 636. New one ...

713.

(Okay, it was 710 but it's still a great day!)

Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep