Day 1: Drive, drive, drive. No stops to hunt, just to eat. Wanted to get here - biggest antique mall in the country (or so they say). Got to the hotel, have the whole leg-buzz thing going. And it's really cold. I'm going to bed now.
Day 2: It's really, really cold. Slept late. We forgot a few things, and by the time we caught up it was lunchtime. We ate near the mall. Thought it would take two days to go through, but we did it in six crazy hours. The Big Lug bought a fabulous watch. I lusted after an amazing milk glass bottle (a polar bear and lamppost which I don't remember), but since I didn't have $795 to spend on it bought several little service pins and a diamond-and-peridot ring instead. I wanted more, though - this and this and especially that. Now I remember why I prefer flea markets and thrift shops - I don't drool as much, and I can afford the things that make me that crazy.
It snowed two inches while we were inside, but it's so cold there's no ice or even slush in the parking lot. Sounds like cornstarch when I walk on it. Glad I didn't buy glass, though, because I'd be afraid of slipping and breaking it. My ears are numb. My toes are numb. I should wear my boots.
Day 3: First stop, thrift shop - found a creamer, think it's Portieux. Two other antique malls in the area. We hit both or them today. Found a Westmoreland schoolhouse bank (mustard container from 100 years ago) with an unbroken coin slot, no chips or flea bits on the rim, much paint still on it, original label, half the price of the one I bought several years ago ... wait, do I have a log cabin at home or another schoolhouse? Duplicate or pair? I can't remember since the twin/mate is in a box until I can get my office set up with display. Scored a Deco watch, too (needs cleaning) that said "14K Gold" inside the case. Got excited until I got it back and found the next line - "Supported By Metal." New way of saying "plated." I'll add it to my list. Also dug through some costume jewelry and found a tie tack I think is gold. Had a lot of fun. Can't get a ring set out of my mind from yesterday, though. Maybe we'll stop by and get it on our way out.
My skin is crumbling in this dry, frigid air. My car is covered with salt. My hair looks like a haystack. We're supposed to go north tomorrow.
Day 4: Over my dead body. We haven't had a clear day since we got here, and it's worse around the Great Lakes. We headed south instead, straight south, as soon as we snagged our "haunted-by" finds - he got another watch (okay, three) and I am now the proud owner of a fused wedding set (which I'd never heard of anyone doing but it makes a really fantastic single ring). Roads were icy for awhile, then switched to wet thanks to the salt, and all the time snow, snow, snow. Spending the night in the mountains - couldn't really make it farther. And though it wasn't supposed to be this bad, even here, it is. I want to go home. Next time I decide to travel in winter, I'm headed for Florida.
Day 5: Three hours getting out of the mountains. I almost cried when we hit sunlight, and I went limp with the first stretch of dry road. Still cold, but I can travel without clutching either steering wheel (when driving) or panic bar (when passenger). Stopped at three more places. Found a very old Santa in sleigh (chipped on the sled runners, but at only a tenth of the price a perfect piece would bring, not bad), and a sterling ID bracelet (engraved on the back from the boyfriend, in 1947) in a thrift shop for a dollar. I love shopping cheap, and unexpected.
Last night on the road. Still cold, but almost home. Pictures later.
Happy New Year.
Tall Tales
-
So....this happened. I directed a one act play. It was called Tall Tales by
Robert Shennkan from the *Kentucky Cycle*. It was an experience I almo...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep