Things have been weird around here since I went back to my basic five tenets. Finding has been good, but not screamin' red as it was a couple months ago (a gold watch in a thrift made me squeal, of course, but that's been my best find for weeks). Winning has been too much of a time-consumer (the one commodity I don't have enough of). Inheriting is only happening forward right now (thank God). And though my subtle Stealing continues almost on its own (some 5% cash back from Discover here, a rise in the S&P 500 there) there hasn't been anything to write home about.
The focus this week has been all about Earning it.
Normally, I would say this is my least favorite way to treasure hunt - if only because it is so ... everyday, monotonous, mundane ... that there's just no reason to write about it (ho hum). Add in the fact that my hours aren't nearly as hefty as they usually are (overall about half of last year, which was less than the year before) and you have a recipe for either boredom or a great, huge bout of tears.
But without any consumer debt to worry about, without the wall-to-wall craziness of schedule, I'm finding that "earning" has taken on an amazing couple of dimensions. Barring the two days I spent in IPD (see last post), I've been busier than ever!
Firstly, I'm reading everything I can get my hands on, trying to learn more about (1) silver (jewelry, flatware, even plate), (2) major designers and brands (Faberge right now, Tiffany last week), (3) Arts and Crafts items (did I mention the Van Briggle pot I found in a thrift a month ago?), and (4) handbags (I've taken Vera Bradley as my own personal style ... for now). In other words, I'm in full Dragon mode, and loving every minute of it - lusting over pieces, memorizing hallmarks, and trying to get a handle on what makes a great piece great. Why these specifically? (1) Gold is still fun but silver is more affordable, and so more donated - and few people see beyond the sterling to the designer (hence a bracelet I found in a consignment store might be worth 10 times its purchase price). (2) Those two jewelry designers are just so lush and so glamorous - duh! - they are the things dreams are made of. (3) I love things from the early part of the 20th century, and I dream of owning a Craftsman bungalow someday (and furnishing it with authentic pieces), but since I have a '60's rambler now I want to brings at least a piece of it into my life. And (4) I forgot my phone one day and so wasn't able to look up the name that was on a particular purse I liked ($16) but wasn't willing to spend my allowance on - and the name was Bottega Veneta. Now I want to avoid a mistake like that.
Secondly, I've been braving the heat and the storms (and the resulting mud), and investing some of the money I'm not spending on credit cards, to turn my house into ... well, not a showplace, but at least a homeplace. I should've been done with the front yard by now, but I'm too old and creaky to work quickly. Pictures next week, though - a little mulch, a few stepping stones, and then I'll just let it grow.
I never thought Earning could be so much fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave your comments at the beep ... beep